About Me

When I was 8, I was always the last one picked for dodgeball. Now at 29, I'm training for my first Ironman.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Swim, Bike, Run, Repeat.

I feel like all I do anymore is swim, bike, and run.  But that's ok.  I've been having a great training week.  My 4000m long swim on Tuesday morning was awesome.  I felt so strong and only realized after I was done that I had conquered the Ironman distance for the swim - not completely continuous, but still - that's a big mental hurdle to overcome.  90 minutes is a long time in the pool though - long enough to see a clump of hair float all over and eventually out of my lane : ), long enough to have some creep-o sit on the bench next to the pool with his hands folded in his lap and presumably getting his rocks off as I swam alone, and long enough to come thisclose to getting booted for the 8:30 water aerobics class.  They were all starting to creep in as I finished to 'warm up' but I just kept plowing through them until I was done.  We're pretty much at war now.  It's like they know I hate blog about them constantly.

I had a great run both before and during Team in Training on Tuesday night - 4 miles on my own before we started - 3 of them at tempo pace (7:30, 7:20 and then sub-7 for the last mile) and then a 6 mile hill workout racing around with Mark and John.  John really knows how to put together great workouts. I'm still a little sore!

Wednesday I ran easy in the am and then cycled almost 2 hours in the afternoon.  I soooo wanted to flake on that ride because I was tired and sore from Tuesdays workouts, but my faithful friend Kelly was able to go with me and made it a lot of fun.  We just talked the whole time.  And I'm pretty sure our zebra print handlebar tape made us much faster.  I also got to try out my aero bars a little bit.  It was TERRIFYING at first, like seriously thought I was going to pee my pants, but then I really started to get used to it and liked it!  I can feel how you can totally relax in that position and really save some energy.  I still need to tweak my seat a little bit but I'm glad that I got those bars put on last weekend so I could start getting used to them.  (thanks Jason!)

This morning, I ran our regular 10 mile Hospital Hill/Helicopter Hill loop.  Luckily everyone was feeling a little tired so we just kept an easy 8:30 pace and had a fun run.  I went straight to the gym afterwards and did my 45 minute speed workout in the pool.  It was tough because my legs were so tired, but I got it done and now I'm done for the day!  I ate a blueberry muffin (thanks Rachel!) and had a chocolate milk en route to the gym which was perfect so I had enough energy to get through the swim.

I'm going to do my long bike ride tomorrow (3 hours plus a 20 minute run after) because I'm going to San Francisco for the weekend and don't want to take my bike.  Then on Saturday, I just mapped out an epic 20 mile run.  It follows the SF Marathon course (which I love!) pretty closely but cuts out the sketchy stuff near the end.  Should be a great hilly training run for Boston - and then the run taper begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment